Carne Molida or Ground beef is made up of pure skeletal muscles. Some of the popular stock include ground chuck, sirloin, or round cuts of Carne Molida.
These are just the trimmed or primal cuts of ground beef, preferable for selected dishes. Furthermore, the health perks, overloaded nutrients, and delicious taste make it very popular.
What Is Carne Molida?
“What is Carne Molida?”. Are you hearing this name for the first time? Understandably, many people are unaware of its authentic global name.
Carne Molida or Ground Beef is available worldwide, and its dishes are pretty mesmerizing in taste. However, Carne Molida is a famous everyday food staple in Puerto Rico.
It is used as a meat base for many dishes around the globe, including empanadillas, rice, mofongo, pastelón, and numerous dishes. But, the recipe for preparing the meat base is almost the same in different dishes.
Making Puerto Rican Carne Molida Meat Base
As discussed, tasteful ground beef bases for any filling have almost the same process of preparation. The key is to source good quality grass-fed cuts and mince them to perfection before starting. Our steps will ensure ten servings or ten standard fillings.
Step 1: Get the Ingredients
- Get 3 pounds of ground beef
- One tablespoon of Adobo
- ¾ tablespoon of black pepper
- ½ tablespoon of meat tenderizer
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 ½ tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon of tomato paste
- One packet Sazon
- Three small potatoes (Rinsed, Peeled and Cubed)
- Ten baby carrots (Rinsed & Chopped)
- 10 to 11 Green Olives & 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive liquid
- Two tablespoons of sofrito.
Step 2: Cook the Carne Molida
- Season the ground beef with adobo.
- Take a big pan and dump the ground beef onto it.
- Turn on the stove and set it on medium heat.
- Let the ground beef turn its color to brown.
- Now, add sofrito, tomato paste, sazon seasoning, tomato sauce, potatoes, olives, and other herbs onto the pan.
- Let it cook on low heat until the ground beef cooks thoroughly. (Wait for the potatoes to be tender as well)
Now, you can readily use this base as a main course with white rice or Arroz Blanco.
If not that, you can use it as a meat base for other Carne Molida dishes such as empanadillas or pastelóns. Click on this link, and you will be redirected to the list of exquisite ground beef recipes that you can try.
Nutritional Aspects of Carne Molida
Ground beef is rich in minerals and vitamins that account for 9.9% of calories you intake. It is a good source of Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Phosphorous, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, and Selenium.
However, it has a pretty high-calorie density. It means that you will be getting around 0.11 cal/oz for every ounce of Carne Molida you consume.
Furthermore, there are some risky components in moderate amounts within the Carne Molida, including cholesterol, sugar, sodium, and saturated fat.
The percentage of sugars is 0.03% per ounce. The percentage of saturated fat is 36% in every 100 grams of ground beef. The fat percentage is 51% in 100 grams serving.
That being said, Carne Molida is still a great source of protein. For example, there is 26% of protein in a 100-gram serving.
Perks of Eating Carne Molida or Ground Beef
Now that you know the process of making the Carne Molida or ground beef base, you are ready to prepare any recipe associated with it. But, first, let’s check out some perks of consuming it:
- Ground beef is a high source of L-Carnitine, which is an amino acid helpful in improving heart health, diabetes, and weight loss.
- Carne Molida is a good source of Glutathione, which is an antioxidant. This antioxidant is helpful for anti-aging, averting illness, preventing chronic diseases, and enhancing immunity power. In addition, it protects cells within the body from any damage!
- Ground Beef is a good source of protein that helps people grow muscle mass.
- Eating beef will help you prevent Anemia and assists you in tackling iron deficiency problems.
- Beef consists of 350mg of Creatine in every 100grams. It helps enhance performance during exercises, promotes muscle development & growth, and increases energy supply to the muscles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Eat Ground Beef Every Day?
You can preferably eat grass-fed ground beef every day, as they consist of high-quality vitamins. In addition, grass-fed beef has less fat and has more omega-3 fatty acids.
Hence, it is better for heart health. Moreover, it is also a good source of Vitamin E. However, moderation is advised if you have existing heart and blood ailments.
Which Is the Best Type of Ground Beef?
As per popular opinion, ground sirloin and ground round have the lowest fat content, for which they are the lightest and healthiest ground beef options.
The ground round consists of 12% fat, whereas sirloin consists of around 10-14% fat. If you wish to know more about these ground beef types, then move onto this link.
What Delicious Recipes Can I Try With Ground Beef?
You can try a horde of recipes with ground beef, including meatballs, meatloaf, beef Bolognese, or shepherd’s Pie. Click on this link, and you will get the linked recipes for all these delicious items.
Now you know about Carne Molida and all its nutritional aspects. Moreover, the meat base recipe mentioned above is very easy to make at home.
Prepare the base, and you are all set to have your delicious Carne Molida dinner ready! Pair it with rice or use it as a filling in a host of recipes from around the globe.